• Before you can add your own film to the site you will need to be a contributing member of our filmmaking community.

Join the site and read more about How to Submit Film.

1905 music recording. Do I need Permission?

Sauro

Hi,
Copyright law. My head has exploded.
I found a song recorded in 1905 from archive.org that I would love to incorporate into my student film.

https://archive.org/details/78_when-the-circus-comes-around_cal-stewart_gbia0017078b

I've read so much conflicting stuff. Most Classical music is supposed to be free from copyright, but I’ve seen a sight in the UK that wants 550 euros for a licence and another site where you can download a recording of the same music and use it free, for any commercial purpose.

I think understand that music (in the USA) published before 1923 (first Authorised publication), is more than likely in the public domain.
I understand the story with “Happy Birthday” published in 1912 and 1915 but apparently unauthorised until published in 1935.

The music I want to use is authorised (fixed). It was published by Columbia Records in 1905. Also, the composer and performer have been dead for more than
70 years.

My question is,

Can I just slot this into my film along with appropriate attribution and be done with it?
Do I need some kind of licence or permission from Columbia Records (Now Sony, I presume)?

lisamay

I need you should get permission or license according to local laws. If it is available at royalty free place at CreativeCommons, then you will need to get CreativeCommons license. In my opinion, it would be a bad idea to proceed without permission.

Best Reviewed Films

• Twin
    • Amirreza Taherverdi
    • Updated:
  • Ghost Car
    Tom buys a car off of the internet only to find that it is possessed by...
    • Sam Gannuch
    • Updated:
  • Sinclair
    A young, troubled hitman must choose between staying in his dangerous...
    • Colton Van Til
    • Updated:
  • Trace
    Mix of live action and traditional animation, Trace is a short animated...
    • Hyo Bin Kang
    • Updated:
  • KILLING TIME
    A man waits patiently in a car for a friend to collect a parcel from him.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
  • QUEST FOR THE BUDGET (Comedy Sketch)
    Two guys journey to find a budget for their short films!
    • BlueBand Films
    • Updated:
  • Mom
    A son comes home from a funeral, but not everything is as it seems.Made...
    • noah kiriu
    • Updated:
  • Out Of Depth
    From behind the wheel of his car, a young man considers an impossible...
    • Jacob Crow
    • Updated:
  • A Theif's Remorse
    A pickpocket has a change of heart mid-theft.
    • BenjaminW
    • Updated:
  • Lampu
    Two people talk about the significance of life and how it is lived.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated: