• Before you can add your own film to the site you will need to be a contributing member of our filmmaking community.

Join the site and read more about How to Submit Film.

Building Hospital set

I wrote an extra scene in my film with the quarter. The little boy gets hit by a car, and we fade up into the waiting room of the hospital. I need some advice on how I should fake a hospital room or build one. I cannot use the actual hospital because they think it might be a disruption, and for liabilty reasons. Any ideas?

I wrote an extra scene in my film with the quarter. The little boy gets hit by a car, and we fade up into the waiting room of the hospital. I need some advice on how I should fake a hospital room or build one. I cannot use the actual hospital because they think it might be a disruption, and for liabilty reasons. Any ideas?

Hill Dawson Kane

use something like a hospital, like a dentist or an optomitrist or whatever, that might work too, hell go to ur veteranarian office and maybe even that would work, likely wont be as hard as a real hospital

Evan Kubota

"Any ideas?"

Film from inside a duffel bag with a hole cut in one end. Give your actor a key phrase that you decide on beforehand, so no one will know you are shooting a movie. Also, turn off the tally lamp on the camera (if you have the option - otherwise, cover it with tape.)

Once you're in the waiting room, pull the bag open so the lens is clear. Frame the shot, roll tape, wait 5 seconds, and say your catchphrase. When the scene is over, pack up and leave.

I have asked the hospital and they said no. But the old folks home might work. I've worked at one before to chat with the oldies, so, they might be nice and let me use it. good idea, thanks

J.MICHAEL

EVan, in a post 9/11 world, and crack head that comes into a hospital witha DUFFEL BAG is going to get either a) shot or b) tackled.....

not a smart idea my friend...
think about it..

Justin Valdez

try a white room and spiff it up with little hospital things like life support monitors and little carts for the tools and a snall bed and maybe some chairs. we use the rooms in my house for movies all the time. its like our own studio.

TizzyEntertainment

I had a similar problem on my short "Intersection".

Hospitals said yes, but then decided no a week before we began production. I heard my school had a nursing program and a hospital bed. When I saw it, it wasnt much. They had a bed and even an EKG, hospital gowns, ect but it was in a classroom that seated 50 students plus desks.

We ended up moving stuff to the corner of the room, and not showing the other two walls (That werent actually there. We also shot the doorway to the room elsewhere. Cut togethere, no one ever questioned if we were in a Hospital (Although that may just mean they did'nt care LOL) So, you might see if the local colleges, ect have a nursing program and might have something that could double for a hospital.
R. Michael

or u could just take out the hospital because it seems like its going to be more trouble than its worth
icon_mad.gif

Why give up on a good scene? You think that directors give up on something just cause it has things in the way? I have gotten good suggestions from people which will work. You didn't give good advice.

Goodwill

My next film takes place completely in a hospital, luckily, my dad works there and they've heard much about my films and our family has been close knitted with many doctors, so i might have a better cahnce at the whole hospital thing. If you guys have good ideas on recreating a hospital scene though pleae do tell! Thanks very much!

Goodwil

ud be amazed at what u can do w/ a little dialogue dude.

JOE
hey john's in the hospital?

JIM
yes!

look it its REAL important go to ur school and ask for the nurse's office (if u still go to school)

Well, let me get into more depth with the scene man. This is going to be the last time the mother talks to her son. It's an emotional scene. For one, the mother stood and watched her son get hit by a car. Second, she is going to see him die. Emotional? I don't think, "hey joe, i see your in the hospital and getting ready to die," is going to cut it. And I do go to school thank you. So, why leave comments that will not help me out? Or leave them and then leave some smartass remark? And yes, little dialouge is good. But it has to be written well and not just b.s. But I asked the old folks home, and they are letting me use there place anytime I want. It looks great for I want. So, thank you to those who helped.

well...when i asked if u went to school...i thought u might have graduated---sorry for the misunderstanding,

but if i couldn't get a hospital so easy (even though u apparently got one)--but if i couldn't get one--i could just get the mother in the aftermath u know? id totaly rely on her conveyance of the events to someone else---but u got the hospital so cool...

Best Reviewed Films

• Twin
    • Amirreza Taherverdi
    • Updated:
  • Ghost Car
    Tom buys a car off of the internet only to find that it is possessed by...
    • Sam Gannuch
    • Updated:
  • Sinclair
    A young, troubled hitman must choose between staying in his dangerous...
    • Colton Van Til
    • Updated:
  • Trace
    Mix of live action and traditional animation, Trace is a short animated...
    • Hyo Bin Kang
    • Updated:
  • KILLING TIME
    A man waits patiently in a car for a friend to collect a parcel from him.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
  • QUEST FOR THE BUDGET (Comedy Sketch)
    Two guys journey to find a budget for their short films!
    • BlueBand Films
    • Updated:
  • Mom
    A son comes home from a funeral, but not everything is as it seems.Made...
    • noah kiriu
    • Updated:
  • Out Of Depth
    From behind the wheel of his car, a young man considers an impossible...
    • Jacob Crow
    • Updated:
  • A Theif's Remorse
    A pickpocket has a change of heart mid-theft.
    • BenjaminW
    • Updated:
  • Lampu
    Two people talk about the significance of life and how it is lived.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated: