• To submit your Student Film, please Register here. You will need to write at least one constructive review of a Student Film already on the site before you may add your own. Thank you for visiting the site!

How do you feel about remakes?

JackyNan

I am so sick of remakes...is originality dead? It would be one thing if the remakes were better, but for the most part (and off the the top of my head I cannot think of a good remake, just bad ones) they suck.

limecat86

I think it depends on what the people remaking the film want to do. It's not difficult to tell when one director is looking to exploit an original franchise to make a quick buck and then another director will actually want to put his own spin on an old film and in the process create a new and different piece of art (eg. True Grit).

Lisa Talley

Personally, I think most remakes are blasphemy. That's a pretty heavy word to use, I know, but it is what it is. One of the FEW times I was happy with a remake, was with the Dawn of the Dead remake in 04. It wasn't the exact replica of the original story, it had a different take on the traditional zombie, and it added a deeper sense of desperation. George Romero scared the crap out of the general public with his invention of the Hollywood zombie... but after a while people became desensitized to it. Then Zack Snyder came and reinvented it to scare the crap out of people again.

Unless a remake takes that approach with the original story, I say stay away from it. The stories have already been done, let's get some fresh new ideas going and stop recycling.

Madison

I like remakes/reboots/prequels/franchise extensions, etc., so long as the remake/reboot etc. has something new to offer, while also keeping the essence of the original film/s.

I especially like the remakes when they aim to a broader audience than the original, i.e. David Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

However, I don't like it when I go to the cinema and it seems all that's out to watch is sequels/remakes. I like some originiality as well.

Marie Huffman

I believe remakes show how generations change. It's not about comparing which era the movie was done is better, it's how the "same characters" would be doing if they are placed in this generation for this remake. Don't get me wrong, there's really nothing bad about remakes, it's how critics review them even before they are shown to the public. That makes a remake good or bad. They were placed in a position that early that's why there are no expectations to set anymore for those who will watch.

I love remakes, especially if I'm thinking of another actor for the role. :rolleyes:

Novocastrian

With the one remakes are going these days they should be outlawed and if the the law is broken the culprits should be tarred and feathered and run out of town by a shouting mob. If only a film franchise could die in its youth like a talented young actor so we could have the illusion that "they" would have been brilliant forever but we are forced to have our illusions shattered by greedy film company's.:(