• Before you can add your own film to the site you will need to be a contributing member of our filmmaking community.

Join the site and read more about How to Submit Film.

How do you feel about remakes?

Harold

I say let them do it! What's wrong with doing something over and over and over? Well, if it sucks, then it gets awfully annoying.

might have to make this movie...
But how often do they suck? I don't think the Green Hornet was a recent hit, but I don't remember the first one. Planet of the Apes comes out it a few days and I remember the 2nd with Mark Wahlberg was pretty good. Why not do a 3rd with James Franco? He's a great actor and technology just keeps getting better so the movies look more believable. Maybe that's the trick. Only remake films that can technologically be improved drastically enough that it puts a brand new awesomeness stamp on the film. I am not just talking about remakes either.

continue reading...
http://nutbucketfilms.com/2011...-feel-about-remakes/

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not if somebody want make or see remakes of good old blockbuster movie, new effects and technologies for pop-corn movies make money. Old king kond in gray scale not very interesting
icon_smile.gif

But nobody can make remake of Charlie Chaplin The Great Dictator. Because you can't get second Charlie. And this film is actual like many other old movies and men who like use their brains (not only their mouth) will be see this movies again and again.

Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.

I hate them because originals are always originals. Remakes just lower their values and fan following. I never find them interesting.
icon_confused.gif

I don't think it's wrong when de remake movie, has something that the first one doents.Not adding something new, just copying the first one, doesn't make any sence to me. It makes me thing that americans are so lazy and not used to subtitles, so it is easier for them to remake.
Obviously there are good remakes, but for example, the japanese terror movies, are really good the way they are. I know that the concept of fear, or perhaps more te one of ghosts, its not the same for eastern and western cultures, and the idea is to make the movie easier to understand, still is not bad to learn a little about other cultures.

remakes are fine in general if the people who remade it understand what the original is about and put in their iteration of the original. It's not as much the fact that it's a remake, but the poor understanding of the original which ends up causing a remake that lost the identity of the original.

I had a conversation about this with Joe Sargent who directed the original Pelham 123. He said he had no problem with them re-making it but he missed the humor from his original that the re-make lacked.

Also said he likes to give Quentin Tarantino a hard time for stealing Mr. Blue, Mr. Brown etc.

Originally posted by Mike_V:
remakes are fine in general if the people who remade it understand what the original is about and put in their iteration of the original. It's not as much the fact that it's a remake, but the poor understanding of the original which ends up causing a remake that lost the identity of the original.

That is exactly where remakes go wrong. It seems in many cases that the director has really not studied the subtleties that made the original work. I hate remakes for the sake of making a remake. I enjoyed the 2009 Star Trek reboot, but wait to see just how the new Spider-Man works out.

i have no idea about the girl in the dragon tattoo remake, but it was well edited and created in general. I do want to see the original though.

I think remakes are OK if they have something to add to the story. Or a new take on it.

Roald Dahl's wife ASKED Tim Burton to do a CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY that was true to the book.

We got a movie that was a different version of the same story.

I like both, for what the are.

You must keep in mind that on Broadway they give an AWARD each year for "best revival". Bringing back old shows in a new way is done all the time.

So in movies it's nice when it's not a shot for shot remake and if it's done well.

Originally posted by HedgesPictures:
I think remakes are OK if they have something to add to the story. Or a new take on it.

Roald Dahl's wife ASKED Tim Burton to do a CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY that was true to the book.

We got a movie that was a different version of the same story.

I like both, for what the are.

You must keep in mind that on Broadway they give an AWARD each year for "best revival". Bringing back old shows in a new way is done all the time.

So in movies it's nice when it's not a shot for shot remake and if it's done well.

Agreed, as long as they keep the essence of the story, unfortunately many directors really screw the pooch in that particular area I'm afraid.

I recently watched the remake of The Thing and in reality it wasn't a remake but a prequel, leading right up to where the 1982 version begins. It was highly entertaining, but will never come close to the masters version.

I agree with Bart Rogers, so long as the director follows the spirit of the original. It's perfectly fine to add your own perspective so long as you keep the essence (as BR says) of the original.

Originally posted by Jennygraham:
Remake of films are not good but some remake of movie are awesome like 'The Italian Job' and 'King Kong' both are good remake

Indeed, I enjoyed both movies. However, many purists hated both remakes.

Best Reviewed Films

• Twin
    • Amirreza Taherverdi
    • Updated:
  • Ghost Car
    Tom buys a car off of the internet only to find that it is possessed by a ghost whom Tom must...
    • Sam Gannuch
    • Updated:
  • Sinclair
    A young, troubled hitman must choose between staying in his dangerous and dead-end career or...
    • Colton Van Til
    • Updated:
  • Trace
    Mix of live action and traditional animation, Trace is a short animated film about a girl who...
    • Hyo Bin Kang
    • Updated:
  • KILLING TIME
    A man waits patiently in a car for a friend to collect a parcel from him.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
  • QUEST FOR THE BUDGET (Comedy Sketch)
    Two guys journey to find a budget for their short films!
    • BlueBand Films
    • Updated:
  • Mom
    A son comes home from a funeral, but not everything is as it seems.Made for the...
    • noah kiriu
    • Updated:
  • Out Of Depth
    From behind the wheel of his car, a young man considers an impossible choice.Featuring an...
    • Jacob Crow
    • Updated:
  • A Theif's Remorse
    A pickpocket has a change of heart mid-theft.
    • BenjaminW
    • Updated:
  • Lampu
    Two people talk about the significance of life and how it is lived.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
Back