• Before you can add your own film to the site you will need to be a contributing member of our filmmaking community.

Join the site and read more about How to Submit Film.

How do you feel about remakes?

I am so sick of remakes...is originality dead? It would be one thing if the remakes were better, but for the most part (and off the the top of my head I cannot think of a good remake, just bad ones) they suck.

I think it depends on what the people remaking the film want to do. It's not difficult to tell when one director is looking to exploit an original franchise to make a quick buck and then another director will actually want to put his own spin on an old film and in the process create a new and different piece of art (eg. True Grit).

Personally, I think most remakes are blasphemy. That's a pretty heavy word to use, I know, but it is what it is. One of the FEW times I was happy with a remake, was with the Dawn of the Dead remake in 04. It wasn't the exact replica of the original story, it had a different take on the traditional zombie, and it added a deeper sense of desperation. George Romero scared the crap out of the general public with his invention of the Hollywood zombie... but after a while people became desensitized to it. Then Zack Snyder came and reinvented it to scare the crap out of people again.

Unless a remake takes that approach with the original story, I say stay away from it. The stories have already been done, let's get some fresh new ideas going and stop recycling.

I like remakes/reboots/prequels/franchise extensions, etc., so long as the remake/reboot etc. has something new to offer, while also keeping the essence of the original film/s.

I especially like the remakes when they aim to a broader audience than the original, i.e. David Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

However, I don't like it when I go to the cinema and it seems all that's out to watch is sequels/remakes. I like some originiality as well.

I believe remakes show how generations change. It's not about comparing which era the movie was done is better, it's how the "same characters" would be doing if they are placed in this generation for this remake. Don't get me wrong, there's really nothing bad about remakes, it's how critics review them even before they are shown to the public. That makes a remake good or bad. They were placed in a position that early that's why there are no expectations to set anymore for those who will watch.

I love remakes, especially if I'm thinking of another actor for the role. :rolleyes:

With the one remakes are going these days they should be outlawed and if the the law is broken the culprits should be tarred and feathered and run out of town by a shouting mob. If only a film franchise could die in its youth like a talented young actor so we could have the illusion that "they" would have been brilliant forever but we are forced to have our illusions shattered by greedy film company's.:(

I think it depends on why. Why is it being remade?
If it's due to a creative having a different perception of a film, or novel, and wanting to vent it out through their own prism then that's cool. Even if it's due to the original having had technological limitations at the time of its making, that's cool to me too.

There is a subjectivity to all of this, as we all have 'untouchable' films.
But there's also an objectivity to it, which is having a sensibility and respect for classic movies. Films that simply cannot be made better because they are timeless due to the cultural time capsule or zeitgeist that they represent.

Jaws & The Exorcist are two extremely good examples.

When film's are being remade because...money, Urgh, obviously.
when it's solely to reframe them within our new cultural climate, this too is urgh.
But worst of all, when a film, or franchise is remade, or rebooted, because they just cant match that level of creativity anymore. This is really hat we're seeing in a lot of films. And it's grim.

But of course films can be remade tastefully and respectfully and in a new light. Shit, look at the most recent 'Planet of the Apes' films. They were amazing.
Actually...there seems to be a running them of successful remakes involving apes...hmmm...

the same story can be made again and again but it would be good and serves the purpose if the audience varies each time it's made again and also it comes with more grippier screenplay and overall better tweaks which makes it worth watching even for the same audience and at the same time , making the new audience to not feel like watching the past film.

Best Reviewed Films

• Twin
    • Amirreza Taherverdi
    • Updated:
  • Ghost Car
    Tom buys a car off of the internet only to find that it is possessed by a ghost whom Tom must...
    • Sam Gannuch
    • Updated:
  • Sinclair
    A young, troubled hitman must choose between staying in his dangerous and dead-end career or...
    • Colton Van Til
    • Updated:
  • Trace
    Mix of live action and traditional animation, Trace is a short animated film about a girl who...
    • Hyo Bin Kang
    • Updated:
  • KILLING TIME
    A man waits patiently in a car for a friend to collect a parcel from him.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
  • QUEST FOR THE BUDGET (Comedy Sketch)
    Two guys journey to find a budget for their short films!
    • BlueBand Films
    • Updated:
  • Mom
    A son comes home from a funeral, but not everything is as it seems.Made for the...
    • noah kiriu
    • Updated:
  • Out Of Depth
    From behind the wheel of his car, a young man considers an impossible choice.Featuring an...
    • Jacob Crow
    • Updated:
  • A Theif's Remorse
    A pickpocket has a change of heart mid-theft.
    • BenjaminW
    • Updated:
  • Lampu
    Two people talk about the significance of life and how it is lived.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
Back