1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To submit your Student Film, please Register here. You will need to write at least one constructive review of a Student Film already on the site before you may add your own. Thank you for visiting the site!

I have some beginner questions about shooting sound-on-film

Discussion in 'General Filmmaking Discussion' started by LifeOnCelluloid, Jun 12, 2018.

1. LifeOnCelluloid

LifeOnCelluloid New Member

Hello, I primarily shoot 35/120mm still photography and I'm now getting into film production. I plan to shoot on Super 8 film, as the low resolution and sort of washed out color is just what I want for this project, and it's also what I have. I do not want to make a silent film, but see that the Super 8 film with the magnetic strip that we used when I was a child is no longer in production, so I'm wondering what the solution is? I want to do everything analog, as I enjoy the process and the particular qualities of analog audio, so should I just record the audio (the actors and the music) on tape, mix it on a 4 track and play it in sync with the projection?

As a more general sound on film question, how is sound done on larger formats? I've read quite a bit about optical sound on 16mm, but I can't find any information on how that's recorded, unless it's just so obvious that it needn't be said — does one need to buy special film (if so, where?) or use a special camera?

Thanks