1. To submit your Student Film, please Register here. You will need to write at least one constructive review of a Student Film already on the site before you may add your own. Thank you for visiting the site!

I have some beginner questions about shooting sound-on-film

Discussion in 'General Filmmaking Discussion' started by LifeOnCelluloid, Jun 12, 2018.

1. LifeOnCelluloid

LifeOnCelluloid New Member

Hello, I primarily shoot 35/120mm still photography and I'm now getting into film production. I plan to shoot on Super 8 film, as the low resolution and sort of washed out color is just what I want for this project, and it's also what I have. I do not want to make a silent film, but see that the Super 8 film with the magnetic strip that we used when I was a child is no longer in production, so I'm wondering what the solution is? I want to do everything analog, as I enjoy the process and the particular qualities of analog audio, so should I just record the audio (the actors and the music) on tape, mix it on a 4 track and play it in sync with the projection?

As a more general sound on film question, how is sound done on larger formats? I've read quite a bit about optical sound on 16mm, but I can't find any information on how that's recorded, unless it's just so obvious that it needn't be said — does one need to buy special film (if so, where?) or use a special camera?

Thanks