• To submit your Student Film, please Register here. You will need to write at least one constructive review of a Student Film already on the site before you may add your own. Thank you for visiting the site!

Brian Phinn

Hi, I am a student at the University of Central Florida working on a 3D animated short film, “Snacktime.” I, along with 12 other teammates in the Character Animation program, have written and designed this film as our Senior Capstone Project.

We will need a soundtrack for our film very soon.

The synopsis is:

Snacktime is a comedy that takes place in the jungles of 16th century Peru. Winston, a magical Creature who eats treasure, sits frozen as a stone statue at his shrine. He is accidentally awakened by a vain and oafish Spanish conquistador seeking to plunder treasure for himself. Once the two enter an abandoned temple filled with Peruvian gold and treasure, they soon discover that it is inhabited by a temple guardian, and hijinks ensue.

We currently have an animatic with stand-in music, representing the style we are going for (Traditional Peruvian and Spanish Flamenco with a funny cartoony feel), an Intensity Chart, and detailed Music Notes we can provide you if you are interested. I will be needing a first rough soundtrack by mid January in order to allow ample time to provide feedback.

My team and I would greatly appreciate any help you are capable of offering. We are unable to pay a large amount for the track due to it being a non-profit production by the university, but in addition to what monetary compensation we can provide, you will be publicly acknowledged for your work (your name listed in credits at the end of the film) and will receive exposure in multiple festivals. We look forward to working with you and hearing your expertise?

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:

genshi

This sounds very exciting! And I would definitely be interested in scoring the music for you. I have a thread here with examples of my music. I've completed the scores for two other fellow members here on StudentFilms.com and can give you their contact information as a reference.

I can do a very wide range of music and can most likely pull of traditional Peruvian, though hearing your temp track would help. Let me know what you think of my examples, send me a private message, and either way, I look forward to seeing the end result of your film!

DSyk.Music

Hi Brian, I'm Daniel Sykora and I'd be interested in composing for your film. I understand you'd need a rough soundtrack by mid Jan (totally doable) and would not be able to pay a lot. From your stand in music to your notes it sounds like you know what you want and I'd be able to deliver it. How long is the film?

Here are some examples of my previous work:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0905adhkirfpqah/AAD142uG2uFfIg1ISM9Bbfpoa?dl=0

Email me at DSyk.Music@gmail.com and I'd be happy to further discuss this project with you!
-Daniel S.

Chris W

Studentfilms.com Owner
Staff member
I've completed the scores for two other fellow members here on StudentFilms.com and can give you their contact information as a reference.
Wow I'm impressed on how much of a resource the site is becoming for students getting composers to work on their films. That's awesome. I'm glad that you were able to score some films for people on this site.

Hopefully even more composers and student filmmakers will begin to use this site as a resource.

genshi

Wow I'm impressed on how much of a resource the site is becoming for students getting composers to work on their films. That's awesome. I'm glad that you were able to score some films for people on this site.

Hopefully even more composers and student filmmakers will begin to use this site as a resource.

Yes, I am VERY thankful for this site and you have done a great job with it Chris. Wish I would have found it sooner! And the fellow members whose films I scored should be posting their films on this site soon; they're both just putting the finishing touches on them.

Hi: I would be tickled pink to help with your project. PM me for more examples. I have been working on some jungle like percussion ostinatos, and use a world instrument library.
Good luck.

Chris W

Studentfilms.com Owner
Staff member
Yes, I am VERY thankful for this site and you have done a great job with it Chris. Wish I would have found it sooner! And the fellow members whose films I scored should be posting their films on this site soon; they're both just putting the finishing touches on them.

That's awesome. I had to hit up my friends in the music school at BU in 1998 for my music. The piano in 8:00 was my roommate who was a music student. I projected the film for him and he "scored" it as he watched it ala old silent films.

I'm glad you love the site. The site used to be a very popular place to host student films... but then YouTube came around and that part of the site slowly withered. Now I think it's on it's way back up with this awesome new forum software I'm using that allows me to add back a lot of the features I had on the old site.

The old site was custom coded in college by another college friend. Films had to be mailed to me and I manually entered in the info. Needless to say I was left in the dust by YouTube and the site eventually became more of a forum. Now I think I'm starting to have success as a place for film students to showcase their work again.

TerminusNYC

Hi Brian

My name is Andrew Koss. I'm a composer, writer, producer, and owner of Terminus Recording Studios. We are a world class recording facility located in Times Square in the heart of NYC. Our facility is fully equipped for scoring, ADR work, voice overs, and post/surround work. I'm here because as a writer/composer I would really like to get more involved in scoring original music for film and video projects. My studio is loaded up with some of the best orchestral libraries on the market, and we also have a vintage Steinway Grand, loads of guitars, drums, and a deep mic locker. I am fortunate to have access to all the equipment needed to make beautiful sounding music.
I would love the opportunity to do some audio work for any projects you might have in the pipeline and work with you on bringing out the sonic backdrop for your films. I can also help with ADR or any other audio mixing you might need as well. I am happy to start doing this for credit.
You can reach me here or at andrew@terminusnyc.com

Here are a few links to some recent short samples I’ve been doing to try and build a demo reel.

- This is the intro sequence to a promotional video that a band is making. They asked me to write the music.

- A link to a trailer for the off-broadway play Bronte that I scored the music for.

- An early edit of a film student’s project that I wrote some music for.

In addition, there are lots of pop, country, instrumental, sound-scape like demos on my soundcloud which can be found at http://www.soundcloud.com/taintedblue

Seana Thompson

Hello Brian,

Your film sounds like a lot of fun, and I would love to be part of it. I am an experienced folk musician and composer and can help create the musical style you are looking for. Although I have not previously composed in Spanish or Peruvian styles I am very familiar with them. Here are a few links to some of my work.

Thank you for your consideration! Please feel free to contact me any time by email or phone/text as well. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Seana Thompson
(909)557-4889
ichopcelli@gmail.com
christinaandseana.com

Last edited:

Brian Phinn

Hi everyone!! I apologize for the late reply but I am very thankful for your interest in the film. I will be going through each of your posts/messages, responding individually with feedback on whether your music style can fit the film. Thank you all again for your consideration, and I am believing success for all of you with your careers

genshi

Until you've made a final decision, I thought I'd throw this up here... it is the lighter side of my orchestral scoring that I did as part of a "do a score in 10 minutes" challenge. It's really rough, but you get the idea:

Brian Phinn

Hi everyone. I'm made an important edit to my original post in regards to finding a composer.

The edit basically was Snacktime is a comedy and the music should complement it by having a funny and cartoon feel. This means we need a composer with experience in capturing a comedic/cartoony feel in his/her music. I apologize for not stating this originally.

I am still in the process of responding to each post/message with feedback. I plan to finish responding with feedback to each person, by the end of the week at the latest. Thank you once again for your interest in Snacktime.

genshi

Brian, I did a quick and dirty demo this afternoon to show the wide variety of sounds and styles I can achieve for Film, TV or Video Game soundtracks in general. I did this in one session... going from Cartoon to Comedy, to Fantasy, Mystery and Sci-Fi Horror, and ending with intense Action. Hopefully you will be able to tell if I can pull off what you need or not.

(A good pair of headphones is highly recommended.)

Last edited:

NickAtMx

Hi! Don't know what type of cartoon you're looking for, but this is one of my examples (the animation is just for illustrative purpose).
There are tracks for every budget at http://www.thefilmscorestore.com/, especially if you don't need an exclusive track I'm sure you can find something, even get a customized composition.

Brian Phinn

Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!! Thank you all for your greatly interest in Snacktime. I had a chance to listen to each on your tracks and samples, and was thoroughly impressed with all your work. It was a very hard decision, but I have currently narrowed down my selections to 3 composers to choose from. However, I will let you know if anything changes. You all are tremendous musicians in your own right. I will save all your contact information to refer to students in my animation program for future films.

Brian

Best Reviewed Films

• Twin
    • Amirreza Taherverdi
    • Updated:
  • Ghost Car
    Tom buys a car off of the internet only to find that it is possessed by...
    • Sam Gannuch
    • Updated:
  • Sinclair
    A young, troubled hitman must choose between staying in his dangerous...
    • Colton Van Til
    • Updated:
  • QUEST FOR THE BUDGET (Comedy Sketch)
    Two guys journey to find a budget for their short films!
    • BlueBand Films
    • Updated:
  • Trace
    Mix of live action and traditional animation, Trace is a short animated...
    • Hyo Bin Kang
    • Updated:
  • Mom
    A son comes home from a funeral, but not everything is as it seems.Made...
    • noah kiriu
    • Updated:
  • Out Of Depth
    From behind the wheel of his car, a young man considers an impossible...
    • Jacob Crow
    • Updated:
  • A Theif's Remorse
    A pickpocket has a change of heart mid-theft.
    • BenjaminW
    • Updated:
  • Lampu
    Two people talk about the significance of life and how it is lived.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
  • One Home Left Behind
    A man has a brief chance to visit his former home and walk the...
    • Alex Roselli
    • Updated:

Latest Classifieds