• Before you can add your own film to the site you will need to be a contributing member of our filmmaking community.

Join the site and read more about How to Submit Film.

genshi

A truly original and experienced Film and TV Composer is now available for your indie film projects.

For no-budget and/or student films, I will work for credit depending on the project. For medium to large budget films I accept a standard 3% fee; low budget films are negotiable.

I specialize in Drama, Action/Thriller, Sci-Fi, Horror and Experimental films. Though I am really capable of any style, my own composing sits around the Carter Burwell, Cliff Martinez to Brian Eno, Trent Reznor zones; from Modern Orchestral to Analog/Digital Synth-based scores.

A multi-instrumentalist, I work both in Software as well as with my extensive Hardware Synth collection (analog, digital and hybrid synths) and Acoustic instruments. Also, my previous day job(s) consisted of being the Sound Editor/Designer at AVID, M-Audio and Universal Studios' Interactive Division.

Here are a few examples from my Soundcloud profile:

---Modern Orchestral---

---Retro Sci-Fi Analog Synth---

---Miscellaneous---
https://soundcloud.com/genshi/my-sunday-afternoon-dsi-mek-moog-sub-37
https://soundcloud.com/genshi/excerpt-from-an-unexpected-death
https://soundcloud.com/genshi/counting-between-spaces
https://soundcloud.com/genshi/breath-more-deeply
https://soundcloud.com/genshi/interlude

I've also won a couple of Film Festivals with my own shorts as a Director, so I know how to work with Directors and have a good intuitive feel with putting music to film.

Please feel free to contact me with questions or to arrange a meeting to discuss a possible collaboration!

Last edited:
Just wanted to add, like most of the good composers on this forum, I have the "standard" collection of software needed (NI Action Strikes and Strings + Rise & Hit, ProjectSAM collection, etc.) but unlike many new composers on this forum, I have a very healthy collection of hardware synths as well...

...and in case you haven't noticed, synths have made a huge comeback into major scores these days (look at Hans Zimmer score for Inception and many others, Trent Reznor's last 3 scores for David Fincher, Cliff Martinez, etc.) and this is something I've specialized in for the past 30+ years. Here is a quick photo of half my studio that would be put to use on your movie! (EDIT: Updated photo to my current studio setup as of June 2015.)

10551676_10152743338931821_967103653354023060_o.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes it helps to have visuals when listening to a score... so here is a rough demo piece I composed and performed, entitled "Solace" put to re-edited footage from the movie "Baraka" -

Last edited:
I wanted to show an example of a "song" rather than a "score". This is from my Industrial project and would be great as a song for a sci-fi movie. I used a few hardware synths, a vocoder and quite a bit of sci-fi sound design/fx to fit with the ambience of the track.

Enjoy!

So I noticed quite a few composers using this one particular (and excellent) video to re-score to; thought I'd give it a try as well, especially since one of my most favorite and delicate pieces that I wrote several months ago just happens to fit this video almost perfectly... without any additional editing!

Thanks.

And now for something completely different, this was an old 15 minute infomercial for General Motors that I edited down to a 5 minute music video for my bouncy synth song. I did this to show how this track could be used in a commercial or some fun type of indie movie... only analog hardware synths were used for this song.

Thanks.

And now for something completely different, this was an old 15 minute infomercial for General Motors that I edited down to a 5 minute music video for my bouncy synth song. I did this to show how this track could be used in a commercial or some fun type of indie movie... only analog hardware synths were used for this song.

I just finished two scores for two of our fellow members here on StudentFilms.com. I'm sure they'll post the final version of their films once they are officially released... in the mean time, I'm open again for new projects!

And as an afterthought... here is a quick demo I whipped out just before working on these last two projects (I kinda can't ever stop working on something!) -

I thought I'd share one of my more electronic, synth-based tracks that would fit well in a retro sci-fi movie. In fact, I edited a retro sci-fi public domain film to fit with this song! The entire track was composed and performed using only one synth, the Moog Sub 37. It's gotten some pretty good comments on youtube and on many of the synth-nerd forums...

Last edited:
This is a quick rough demo I recently did. Lot's of Sound Design in this one. A good pair of headphones is highly recommended.

Hey, could I use your "evidence found" track for a 3min short film for the Studentfilms.com Christmas film festival? If I win you will receive $50 towards anything on amazon.com!

Hey, could I use your "evidence found" track for a 3min short film for the Studentfilms.com Christmas film festival? If I win you will receive $50 towards anything on amazon.com!

I would just have to see the footage first; to see what my track would be used in (and to see if I could write something new that would better fit your film!) Can you send me a link via private message when it's ready?

I made this track to show the wide variety of sounds and styles I can achieve for Film, TV or Video Game soundtracks. I did this in one session, going from Cartoon to Comedy, to Fantasy, Mystery and Sci-Fi Horror, and ending with intense Action! A good pair of headphones is highly recommended. -

... and to follow up with more of the lighter Fantasy side, I did this track as part of a "do a score in 10 minutes" challenge -

Last edited:
For this lovely Holiday season, on the eve of Christmas Eve, I thought I'd share with you my most recent demo, a Dark Sci-Fi Horror score. A good pair of headphones is highly recommended to hear the full frequency of sounds... listen with the lights out if you dare!

It's been awhile since I've posted here, so I thought I'd give a status update: I am currently not accepting any new student projects as I've been booked with several paying indie jobs. The exception to this is if you have an outstanding student film that will be entered into one of the fairly major film festivals, I would then consider doing the score for this, pro bono.

In the mean time I thought I'd share this... it's a promotional video created by a recent collaborator who was the Visual FX guy for the Sci-Fi channel in Australia. He used my "soundscape" for this video, which is a series of still images mapped to 3D objects in order to manipulate their perspectives. Pretty cool stuff.

Best Reviewed Films

• Twin
    • Amirreza Taherverdi
    • Updated:
  • Ghost Car
    Tom buys a car off of the internet only to find that it is possessed by a ghost whom Tom must...
    • Sam Gannuch
    • Updated:
  • Sinclair
    A young, troubled hitman must choose between staying in his dangerous and dead-end career or...
    • Colton Van Til
    • Updated:
  • Trace
    Mix of live action and traditional animation, Trace is a short animated film about a girl who...
    • Hyo Bin Kang
    • Updated:
  • KILLING TIME
    A man waits patiently in a car for a friend to collect a parcel from him.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
  • QUEST FOR THE BUDGET (Comedy Sketch)
    Two guys journey to find a budget for their short films!
    • BlueBand Films
    • Updated:
  • Mom
    A son comes home from a funeral, but not everything is as it seems.Made for the...
    • noah kiriu
    • Updated:
  • Out Of Depth
    From behind the wheel of his car, a young man considers an impossible choice.Featuring an...
    • Jacob Crow
    • Updated:
  • A Theif's Remorse
    A pickpocket has a change of heart mid-theft.
    • BenjaminW
    • Updated:
  • Lampu
    Two people talk about the significance of life and how it is lived.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
Back