• To submit your Student Film, please Register here. You will need to write at least one constructive review of a Student Film already on the site before you may add your own. Thank you for visiting the site!

Werner Herzog eats his shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan Kubota

Argggh!

Seriously, this is the biggest pile of crap over a relatively small infraction that I've seen.

The 'Herzog eats his shoe' segment is not a widely available feature or short. There is no way to see it that I'm aware of other than buying the Burden of Dreams DVD.

To that end, I'm glad someone put it up on youtube as a reference. Les Blank (who my brother has met) may not be as pleased. Still, the intent is to share information, not to deny anyone their piece of the economic pie.

If everyone's sphincters were clenched as tight as Joren's, 95% of the 'films' on this site would have to be canned because they use 'pirated' music. Do I think that's a good idea? No, not in practice. I'm firmly against reappropriating copyrighted music for your own work without permission, but at the same time, these things exist.

I guess you never download music. I'd rather spend my time understanding the world than lambasting others for trying to share information, regardless of its source.

Originally posted by joren:
I realize I'm making a big deal out of one little link. But it's the trend and laissez-faire attitude toward pirated videos online that's the big deal and I'm very surprised a website for students creating intellectual property would tolerate it.
It's both funny and ironic that you'd whine so much about this, in a topic about Werner Herzog, on a site where people pay to have people watch their movies. Maybe you should watch this little 20 minute movie your buddy made; I doubt he'd be pissed, and neither would Herzog. Herzog would not approve of your bullsh*t.

joren

Well, here's how you can legally purchase and view this film:
http://www.lesblank.com/more/shoe.html

I'm not pretending to be a saint. I've pirated my share of intellectual property. And had ryan and fashthestampede not responded the way you did, I would have just left my one line response from my original post and maybe even contributed to a conversation about the film, which I viewed with Les Blank several years ago. It's your two attitudes towards it that's my annoyance.

Les Blank supports himself and his movies with selling his movies and speaking about them (primarily to students). So I very much doubt that he would think his property rights are bullshît. But alas, no one's getting any smarter from this rhetoric. So I guess I'll end it.

Evan Kubota

And had ryan and fashthestampede not responded the way you did, I would have just left my one line response from my original post and maybe even contributed to a conversation about the film, which I viewed with Les Blank several years ago. It's your two attitudes towards it that's my annoyance.
You could have contributed about the film anyway, but whatever...

C.U. Studio

Herzog eating his shoe is inspirational if you know the hardships he went through to make his films. Then you can understand his level of commitment & passion is so high it seems to border insanity. There's a great list online of his advice to filmmakers. Eating a shoe's not included, but it's a very public gesture to encourage all filmmakers to just go out there & get it done, their film I mean, not eat their shoe :)

Last edited:

Mike_V

Staff member
This thread is over a decade old. Closing it so it doesn't get resurrected... again...........

Status
Not open for further replies.