• Before you can add your own film to the site you will need to be a contributing member of our filmmaking community.

Join the site and read more about How to Submit Film.

What's your list of MUST SEE films?

Chris W

Studentfilms.com Owner
Staff member
Here's a partial list of mine...
  • Seven Samurai
  • Rashomon
  • Rear Window
  • Hana bi
  • Sonatine
  • Memento
  • Inception
  • Wall-E
  • Some like it hot
  • Usual Suspects
  • Alien
  • Seven
  • Stand by Me
  • Shawshank Redemption
  • Princess Bride
  • Throw Momma from the Train

gasolineman

I've always felt that must see film lists contain a lot of movies that people have already seen, since, you know, they must see them. My list of films that must be seen that I assume a lot of people haven't seen:
  • Pink Floyd's The Wall. More popular than the other items on this list, but in my opinion the greatest movie ever made. Reflects the band's commitment to nonconformity by abandoning conventional filmmaking tactics, because the mixed live action/animation/musical style is the best way of telling the narrative, which thoroughly explores the existential horror of young British men in the 80s by examining every moment of their lives, including the traumas that started before their birth. An expertly condensed epic, this movie should be studied.
  • Intolerance. The lesser known of D. W. Griffith's two masterpieces, but by far the superior one. At a time that movies were still getting their footing, Griffith experimented with a brand of parallel storytelling which, when paired with his signature epic cinematography, broadened the scope of this film beyond anything we would see until 2001. If not for D. W. Griffith's reputation, this would be remembered as the greatest silent film of all time.
  • Shrek Retold. This is a scene-by-scene remake of Shrek by fans. It sounds silly (and it is!) but it's a testament to what's now possible in filmmaking thanks to the internet. Great animation and live action blend, great song remixes, and at least one internet celebrity (depending how you define the term).
  • 8 1/2. Very famous film, but not many people have actually watched it. The movie is about its own production. Great metafiction that questions what it means to be a filmmaker.
  • American Psycho. Another very famous film that I think simply deserves more love than it gets. Funniest movie of all time if you appreciate dry humor. Good commentary on yuppies.
  • Anomolisa. Woefully underappreciated animated film about a man who has lost so much passion for life, he develops the delusion that everyone around him is actually the same person. This is reflected in the puppets' faces. The medium is used very well to tell a psychologically striking story.
  • Territory. Very very new movie, wasn't even out when this forum started. It follows a tiny amazon ethnic group dealing with encroachments on their land. So beautiful any frame could be printed and hung on a wall. The narrative is so strong that it's hard to believe it's a documentary.
  • Marble Hornets. Technically a series of youtube videos, but has a narrative structure a lot like a film. Codifier of the Slenderman mythos and the defining horror film of the 21st century. A deep, compelling mystery, horror characterized by fear of the unknown and the impossible, sprinkled with puzzles.

Best Reviewed Films

• Twin
    • Amirreza Taherverdi
    • Updated:
  • Ghost Car
    Tom buys a car off of the internet only to find that it is possessed by...
    • Sam Gannuch
    • Updated:
  • Sinclair
    A young, troubled hitman must choose between staying in his dangerous...
    • Colton Van Til
    • Updated:
  • Trace
    Mix of live action and traditional animation, Trace is a short animated...
    • Hyo Bin Kang
    • Updated:
  • KILLING TIME
    A man waits patiently in a car for a friend to collect a parcel from him.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
  • QUEST FOR THE BUDGET (Comedy Sketch)
    Two guys journey to find a budget for their short films!
    • BlueBand Films
    • Updated:
  • Mom
    A son comes home from a funeral, but not everything is as it seems.Made...
    • noah kiriu
    • Updated:
  • Out Of Depth
    From behind the wheel of his car, a young man considers an impossible...
    • Jacob Crow
    • Updated:
  • A Theif's Remorse
    A pickpocket has a change of heart mid-theft.
    • BenjaminW
    • Updated:
  • Lampu
    Two people talk about the significance of life and how it is lived.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated: