• Before you can add your own film to the site you will need to be a contributing member of our filmmaking community.

Join the site and read more about How to Submit Film.

Multiple Angles with one camera

Jon Ellison

Hello!

I'm sorry if this is a really really stupid question, but I'm preparing to make our first film, and I have questions I'm not quite sure of the answers to.

We only have access to a single camera, and have to use the microphone on the camera.

If we want to take a single scene from two different angles, how do you do it with just one camera?

For example, if it was a conversation with two people in a park and I wanted close ups of both peoples faces, how would I do it with one camera? Do I shoot the entire scene with one persons face, shoot the entire scene with the others, and edit it on computer afterwards? Aren't there going to be major discrepencies in the background noise when it cuts views, for example if a car drives past in one of them and not in the second?

I'm just majorly confused! Thank you for listening!

J

Hello!

I'm sorry if this is a really really stupid question, but I'm preparing to make our first film, and I have questions I'm not quite sure of the answers to.

We only have access to a single camera, and have to use the microphone on the camera.

If we want to take a single scene from two different angles, how do you do it with just one camera?

For example, if it was a conversation with two people in a park and I wanted close ups of both peoples faces, how would I do it with one camera? Do I shoot the entire scene with one persons face, shoot the entire scene with the others, and edit it on computer afterwards? Aren't there going to be major discrepencies in the background noise when it cuts views, for example if a car drives past in one of them and not in the second?

I'm just majorly confused! Thank you for listening!

J

You got it right. You need to do it over and over and over until you've got every angle you need. That's the way its done. However, to make it easier, I highly recommend you create a storyboard of your project. Plan out each shot you want to create, then shoot what you've drawn up. Although even with this process you will need to create some double-coverage to overlap the shots. This will make editing easier. Is it complicated, yes, but there isn't an art form on the planet that's easy to create. That's why it's art.

Good luck. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Just take the audio from the most clear cut, and grab the audio from it and overlay it onto the edited scene...just pray that they acted roughly the same way each shot.

Murphman Studios.

Yep, pretty much covered already. Be sure to get, not only enough coverage of the people tralking, but of each of them listening, "reacting" as well. This can be helpful in covering up audio ect.
Example: You like the begining of his line delivery here, but a car rives buy and ruins the end, so you have to take the last sentence from another take. Trying to put the two takes togthere, while looking at the same guy, will result in a junp cut. (IE: his head is on te right side of the screen, then sudenly the left, ect) You can be on him for the beginning, but when you need the other line, cut to the person listening, and just lay the audio from the other track under it.
Best of luck, and dont ever feel like your asking a "stupid question" We all didnt know the answer till we asked. Do ask, youll learn faster.
R. Michael McWhorter

And you shall know us by the trail of dead.

Ok guys, I understand the first and third reply to my post (thank you very much!!!!) but slightly confused on how the second could ever work... surely there is no way the actors will speak at exactly the same speed in a different take, and so there is no way a single audio track can be put on multiple angles recorded sequentially rather than at the same time?

Also, isn't there still going to be the massive problem of maybe hearing a car starting to drive by at one angle, and then when we switch to the next, it'll have completely disappeared....

Jon

To answer your last question, "Yes". The only way around it is Multiple takes. Even if you listen for it, chances are there will be audio disturbances you dont notice on set. This is why shooting movies takes so long You have to shoot what you need, and then a bit more just incase.

My suggestion would be to clearly map out what you need. (IE: wideshot of two people sitting down, and talking. Close up of one on certain dialouge, Medium shot of other on certain lines, ect.) Edit ahead of time this way. Know what your going to need, before you shoot it. Then, when you get there shoot just those things, BUT, shoot a line or two before, and after every spot you think your gonna cut. That way, your covered it case the one shot you had in mind, dosent work out.

Also, be sure to record a good minute of ambient sound. Have the crew be quiet, and just record in your shooting envinronment. If a car drives by, or a plane flies over, roll a little longer. This can be helpful in post, to even out the sound levels. You can lay this down as an additional audio track, simply loop it over to fit time, and it will help the scene feel "real", consistent.

Shoots take a long time, such is the nature of the beast, but if you plan ahead, you will minimize wasted time, and people will appreciate the fact that you came prepared.
R. M. McWhorter
www.tizzyentertainment.8m.com
www.tizzystoryboardartist.8m.com

And you shall know us by the trail of dead.

You definitely shouldn't rely on it, but don't be afraid of dubbing another scenes line over another visual take. A lot of times you will find yourself lucky where it matches, or can be made to match.

Best Reviewed Films

• Twin
    • Amirreza Taherverdi
    • Updated:
  • Ghost Car
    Tom buys a car off of the internet only to find that it is possessed by a ghost whom Tom must...
    • Sam Gannuch
    • Updated:
  • Sinclair
    A young, troubled hitman must choose between staying in his dangerous and dead-end career or...
    • Colton Van Til
    • Updated:
  • Trace
    Mix of live action and traditional animation, Trace is a short animated film about a girl who...
    • Hyo Bin Kang
    • Updated:
  • KILLING TIME
    A man waits patiently in a car for a friend to collect a parcel from him.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
  • QUEST FOR THE BUDGET (Comedy Sketch)
    Two guys journey to find a budget for their short films!
    • BlueBand Films
    • Updated:
  • Mom
    A son comes home from a funeral, but not everything is as it seems.Made for the...
    • noah kiriu
    • Updated:
  • Out Of Depth
    From behind the wheel of his car, a young man considers an impossible choice.Featuring an...
    • Jacob Crow
    • Updated:
  • A Theif's Remorse
    A pickpocket has a change of heart mid-theft.
    • BenjaminW
    • Updated:
  • Lampu
    Two people talk about the significance of life and how it is lived.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
Back