• Before you can add your own film to the site you will need to be a contributing member of our filmmaking community.

Join the site and read more about How to Submit Film.

Anti-film festivals

Film festivals and awards have turned film makers and actors to search roles that will win them awards to get larger pay checks and acclaim that makes them feel good about themselves. Why do film makers need an award to feel good about their films? i sure as hell don't.

Film festivals and awards have turned film makers and actors to search roles that will win them awards to get larger pay checks and acclaim that makes them feel good about themselves. Why do film makers need an award to feel good about their films? i sure as hell don't.

I dunno, but the title "Anti-film festival" sounds like a great idea, Like, it should be strictly for movies shot on video. And/or if you want to take it into another direction the prize isn't money or anything it's just a public humiliation of the film, picking out all of its defects and so on and so forth. Yeah, i don't know where I'm going with that, I'm not even sure it's really serious. But to answer your question the best I can remember of what you asked. Film festivals are showcases for filmmakers. Yeah, we can make our films, invite the family over to watch it, what not. But damnit, most of us want exposure, we put a lot of work into these things and want them to be made. And as for the money, why the hell not? How rich are any of us ever anyway? If we make a decent award-winning film for nothing, imagine what we could make with some nothing and some nice prize money (or what's left over after buying all that celebatory booze.) Anyway, I hopw some of that made sense.

Botttom line, this "Business" is a competition. If you wish to make a living at film, you are competeing with every other film maker out there, trying to make a living as well.
Theres nothing wrong with a little competition. Theres nothing wrong with winning awards, or even making money.
Now, I will admit, I am tired of some of the Hollywood actors trates for winning the big "O". Such as the "Play a retard, and your guaranteed a gold guy. I was so glad when Sean Penn didnt win for "I Am Sam" for that very reason. But do bear in mind. If your an actor, working in Hollywood, and you win an Oscar. Yes, you do make more money, but more importantly, you get to start picking the roles you want.
There is nothing wrong with making a comercially viable film. Theres nothing wrong with winning awards, or getting paid to make movies. Selling your soul for an award is sleazy, but I dont think most "film makers" make films because "They think their gonna win awards". I think most make the films they want to. Whethere its because they like the material, or need to put food on the table. Either way, in the end, the choice is theirs to live with.
R. Michael McWhorter
www.tizzyentertainment.8m.com
www.tizzystoryboardartist.8m.com

And you shall know us by the trail of dead.

i guess the point in the end is that i personnaly don't feel an award makes my film better. 100 million box office return doesn't make my film better (however helps to be a proffesional film maker). i do admit that i have no problem with other people accepting and celebrating award ceremonies like the academy awards.

Best Reviewed Films

• Twin
    • Amirreza Taherverdi
    • Updated:
  • Ghost Car
    Tom buys a car off of the internet only to find that it is possessed by a ghost whom Tom must...
    • Sam Gannuch
    • Updated:
  • Sinclair
    A young, troubled hitman must choose between staying in his dangerous and dead-end career or...
    • Colton Van Til
    • Updated:
  • Trace
    Mix of live action and traditional animation, Trace is a short animated film about a girl who...
    • Hyo Bin Kang
    • Updated:
  • KILLING TIME
    A man waits patiently in a car for a friend to collect a parcel from him.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
  • QUEST FOR THE BUDGET (Comedy Sketch)
    Two guys journey to find a budget for their short films!
    • BlueBand Films
    • Updated:
  • Mom
    A son comes home from a funeral, but not everything is as it seems.Made for the...
    • noah kiriu
    • Updated:
  • Out Of Depth
    From behind the wheel of his car, a young man considers an impossible choice.Featuring an...
    • Jacob Crow
    • Updated:
  • A Theif's Remorse
    A pickpocket has a change of heart mid-theft.
    • BenjaminW
    • Updated:
  • Lampu
    Two people talk about the significance of life and how it is lived.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
Back