• Before you can add your own film to the site you will need to be a contributing member of our filmmaking community.

Join the site and read more about How to Submit Film.

ARTISTIC MOVIES< heres just a few, GOOD ONES

<ERASERHEAD>

a little list of some very inflential (to me); artistic films i own:

IN NO ORDER

-Buffalo '66
-ERASERHEAD
-Happiness
-Mullholland Drive
-Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With ME
-2001: A Space Odyssey
-The Thin Red Line
-Gummo
-Julien Donkey Boy

aaaaah too many to remember
icon_confused.gif

so, let me know, have you seen any of these, did you like them?

a little list of some very inflential (to me); artistic films i own:

IN NO ORDER

-Buffalo '66
-ERASERHEAD
-Happiness
-Mullholland Drive
-Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With ME
-2001: A Space Odyssey
-The Thin Red Line
-Gummo
-Julien Donkey Boy

aaaaah too many to remember
icon_confused.gif

so, let me know, have you seen any of these, did you like them?

Well I haven't seen much of those, but I'll have to check them out. I can tell you're a David Lynch fan. In the meantime, here are some good "artistic" movies I know of (in no order, of course):

Adaptation
Being John Malkovich
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Pulp Fiction
Punch-Drunk Love
Moulin Rouge

These are all the ones I can think of right now, but if I think of any more, I'll let you guys know. But what I do know is I define an "artistic" movie as a movie that has no real structure, and nothing really that guides it, but only has a story that is put aside as the movie's foundation and nothing more, and then delivers the movie with a lot of things like style, intimacy, and references to other things that the filmmakers see fit to include. Basically, an artistic movie to me could also be called a "personal" movie, one that puts personal ideas first and storytelling formalities a distant second, and I think all these movies do a very fine job of meeting this criteria.

what about La jetee? or Sans Soleil? and Buffalo '66 is in my top 10 list. same goes for happiness. also check out todd solondz films (he made happiness). im glad to see someone like you find this website.
Fab 4 Films

glad to see theres someone out there who seems to appreciate good movies like myself! although ive yet to see La jetee or Soleil, but if im correct, was it Todd who made Welcome to the dollhouse, and storytelling? (2 other good ones) im forgetting right now, c ya around

Originally posted by Dan Gross:
Basically, an artistic movie to me could also be called a "personal" movie, one that puts personal ideas first and storytelling formalities a distant second QUOTE]

I would definately add "Magnolia" to your list.
Those are all great character hangout movies that you only love if you go with the flow and let them overwhelm you the first time. They don't end so neatly, and sometimes its hard to accept why it was done that way. Its always good to watch them again to see that yes, it did happen
icon_wink.gif
At first I thought, "that ending sucked" on the movies above but then I realized that films don't have to be all tied up and happy at the end. That's why most people have trouble enjoying and recomending these movies when they feel they were missing something. Take Magnolia for example. At first I loved the acting and emotion but hated that I didn't know what half the characters would end up doing. I watched it many more times and found new things and coincidences with sets of characters. Soon I imagined the unknown person's future from their parralel characters choices who were a few steps ahead. The more you put in, the more you get out. Good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Basically, an artistic movie to me could also be called a "personal" movie, one that puts personal ideas first and storytelling formalities a distant second, and I think all these movies do a very fine job of meeting this criteria. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that is the criteria then I would say the ultimate artistic film is Federico Fellini's
"8 ½"

The whole concept of an "artistic" film is inherently flawed, because you're implying that only a certain style of filmmaking possesses artistry. Obviously this is not the case - one can argue that "Scooby-Doo" is as artistically valid as "Ikiru".

If what you're asking for are some good movies, that is a more logical question.

Red
White
Blue
Amores Perros
21 Grams
Ikiru
12 Monkeys
Requiem for a Dream
Saving Private Ryan
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Aliens

If you notice, my very incomplete list encompasses Hollywood "blockbusters" and smaller productions. I've never agreed with the mentality that a film has to be "unstructured" to be artistic. Formalism is as valid as anything. Intimacy can be found in the most epic films - look at Lord of the Rings, or Kurosawa's works.

The point is, setting aside one category of movies and saying "These are 'art' films" is an exercise in worthless labeling.

WELL MAKING A LIST OF WHAT YOU CALL "GOOD MOVIES" IS ALSO AN EXERCISE OF WORTHLESS PROPORTIONS BUT WE ALL DO IT CAUSE IF WE DIDNT WE WOULD HAVE NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT ON THE "FILM AS ART" PART OF THIS FORUM NOW WOULDNT WE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW IF THIS FORUM WERE BASED IN THE, "FILMS AS GOOD" CRITERIA, YOUR POST WOULD THEN BE VALIDATED.

NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME I HAVE TO COVER MY EARS BECAUSE LOUD NOISES SCARE ME
icon_biggrin.gif

I think The Russian Arc(or ark i forget) fits into this catagory, not the best movie ever made but the film is only one shot not multiple shots with hidden cuts like hitchcock films but really only 1 shot 0 editing i consider this art what do you guys think

yes, i think we all have our own opinions of what "art" is, of course there are no absolutes in film and wem must therefore be open to other ppls opinions, even if they wanna say that "The Hulk" is art for instance. And whos saying its not?

I love Pulp Fiction. It could so easily have gone wrong and been confusing and disjointed, but the unique storytelling style really adds to the film and separates it from the crowd.

I thought it was very daring of Baz Luhrmann to create a musical (Moulin Rouge) in this day and age, when the genre seems to be dying out. I also liked his new angle on Romeo and Juliet as well - I would describe him as a true artist, as he likes to take risks rather than sticking to cliches or playing to whatever style's currently "in".

Was I the only one who found the ending to 2001: A Space Oddysey really confusing? I mean, he's driving this spaceship and suddenly he enters this vortex and is surrounded by all sorts of coloured lights (this goes on for about 15 mins). He then suddenly finds himself in a room, looking at himself when he's older. It then cuts to the point of view of the older guy, who looks at an even older version of himself. This goes on until you see the guy on his deathbed. He then sees a giant monolith in front of him. After this, he becomes a giant foetus which floats through space. The End.

shookster, how can it be confuzing, you just explained it right there, minus a few details. 2001 started it all for me, once i saw that, nothing but good movies are to be seen, i know the difference now.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by &lt;ERASERHEAD&gt;:
shookster, how can it be confuzing, you just explained it right there, minus a few details. 2001 started it all for me, once i saw that, nothing but good movies are to be seen, i know the difference now.
icon_smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but what relation did it have to the main story? The only thing it had in common was the monolith.

Best Reviewed Films

• Twin
    • Amirreza Taherverdi
    • Updated:
  • Ghost Car
    Tom buys a car off of the internet only to find that it is possessed by a ghost whom Tom must...
    • Sam Gannuch
    • Updated:
  • Sinclair
    A young, troubled hitman must choose between staying in his dangerous and dead-end career or...
    • Colton Van Til
    • Updated:
  • Trace
    Mix of live action and traditional animation, Trace is a short animated film about a girl who...
    • Hyo Bin Kang
    • Updated:
  • KILLING TIME
    A man waits patiently in a car for a friend to collect a parcel from him.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
  • QUEST FOR THE BUDGET (Comedy Sketch)
    Two guys journey to find a budget for their short films!
    • BlueBand Films
    • Updated:
  • Mom
    A son comes home from a funeral, but not everything is as it seems.Made for the...
    • noah kiriu
    • Updated:
  • Out Of Depth
    From behind the wheel of his car, a young man considers an impossible choice.Featuring an...
    • Jacob Crow
    • Updated:
  • A Theif's Remorse
    A pickpocket has a change of heart mid-theft.
    • BenjaminW
    • Updated:
  • Lampu
    Two people talk about the significance of life and how it is lived.
    • marikhbattlecry
    • Updated:
Back